Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Rommil in Hartford

Match 7

Opponent: Rommil
Opponent Rating: 4.0
Date: Sat 13 Oct, 11am
Location: Hartford, Connecticut. East Hartford Tennis Club
Surface: Indoor Hard
Result: 6-0 6-0



All good things must come to an end and it was nice to finish up against Rommil who was one of the first people to reply when I put up this thread, and has kept in touch since.

A beautiful drive down from Montreal through the New England fall scenery finally brought us to Hartford (via a couple of other stops). Getting to the match wasn't easy - there was heavy traffic with a marathon being run around town, and my girlfriend wanted to be dropped at the mall on the opposite side of town from the tennis club ! I could hardly refuse and eventually got to Rommil around 11:15.

Similarly to my previous couple of matches I ended up being the steady, unspectacular one while Rommil hit some superb winning forehands but made a few errors, particularly on the backhand. Rommil had several game points but they all fell my way and I got the 6-0 6-0 win.

Rommil was generous with his line-calling, giving me anything that might have caught any part of the line, and stayed positive throughout. He was even polite enough to ask me if I was ready after smacking an ace past me! I had to own up that it has just gone by me in a flash before I could even move.

We played one more set afterwards and Rommil broke my serve in the very first game. It just shows how the threat of losing $50 has raised my concentration levels!

I'm writing this up from Boston and am heading back to the UK in 3 days. It's all been so much fun and I'm really grateful to the 7 guys who showed up to play me, and sorry to a couple of people who got in touch but we couldn't sort out a time. I'll post up a 'review of the tour' when I get a chance with a few more thoughts on the whole thing now it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment